*APPLICATION IS CLOSED*
PrepareRI interns learn critical work readiness skills, explore careers and learn about real workplace expectations.
PrepareRI interns are paid $13.00/hr and can work up to 280 hrs. Earn up to $3,360 during the summer of 2022.
PrepareRI interns are matched with one of SkillsRI’s 180 employer partners.
- Internships are in-person (on-site) for summer 2022*.
- Applications accepted Oct 15, 2021 – Feb. 18, 2022
- Open to high school juniors attending a public or public charter high school in RI.
- Internships run from July 11 – Aug 19, 2022
- Must attend mandatory boot camp at Rhode Island College from June 27 – July 1, 2022.
- Interns will be paid $13/hr for the duration of the internship.
Start building your future today through the PrepareRI Internship Program which provides high school students with paid summer experiential learning internships connecting school learning with the world of work.
*In-Person Internships for 2022
The placed-based internship model for 2022 is subject to change based on the ongoing public health concerns with the COVID-19 pandemic. Should the program need to become virtual, students and parents will be notified immediately of any changes to the program.
- Attend Rhode Island public or public charter high school
- Current junior in high school (2021/2022 school year)
- Rhode Island resident
- Minimum of 16 years of age by March 1, 2022
- Eligible to work in the United States
- Parental/Guardian consent to participate
- Complete online PrepareRI High School Internship Application
- Complete interview with Skills RI and/or with employers
- Attend 40-hour work-readiness training scheduled for June 27 – July 1, 2022 from 9:00 am – 4:30 pm
- Complete a minimum of 150 hours of work AND work 6 weeks between July 11 – August 19, 2022
- Have a flexible schedule for work during the summer of 2022
Confirmed 2022 Employer Partners
PrepareRI Goes Virtual for 2020 and 2021
As COVID-19 quickly impacted plans for the 2020 and 2021 high school internship programs, SkillsRI launched an entirely reimagined summer internship program, the Innovation Challenge, in 2020 and 2021 which brought together high school interns from across Rhode Island for a real-world view into the evolving work landscape.
The Innovation Challenge presented an engaging virtual internship experience that encompassed gamification and challenges, team-engagement, professional communication and innovative research and design. Interns formed their own student-run corporations, collaborated across remote teams, built and pitched viable solutions that addressed real-world challenges companies and industries are actively facing due to COVID-19 and other workforce and market factors.