PrepareRI is a statewide initiative designed to prepare all Rhode Island students with the skills they need for jobs that pay.
What is the PrepareRI Internship Program?
The PrepareRI Internship Program provides paid summer internships for current high school juniors attending Rhode Island public schools. Successful student candidates will be matched to internship opportunities based on motivation and interest.
Sample Internship Placements
- Paid summer internships for 300 high school juniors (rising seniors) in Summer 2019
- Fully funded by the Governor’s Workforce Board and private foundations
- Internships run 6 – 8 weeks for 25 – 35 hours/week based on employer need and capacity
- Skills for Rhode Island’s Future (Skills RI) to serve as the intermediary assisting employers and students throughout the program
- Motivated and prepared students, vetted by Skills RI to match the skills employers need; employers are invited to interview and select students
- Students go through week-long orientation “boot camp” to prepare for internships
- Integral part of the Governor’s commitment to prepare all students for college and career through high-quality work-based learning experiences
2019 Program Timeline
- DECEMBER 3, 2018: ONLINE APPLICATION OPEN
- FEBRUARY 1, 2019: APPLICATION CLOSES AT 11:59 PM
- FEBRUARY – MARCH 2019: STUDENT/PARENT (GUARDIAN) ORIENTATION SESSIONS
- MARCH – MAY 2019: INTERVIEWS WITH SKILLS RI & EMPLOYERS
- JUNE 24 – 28, 2019: WORK-READINESS BOOTCAMP
- JULY – AUGUST 2019: INTERNSHIP PLACEMENTS (WORK)
What should you expect from Skills RI?
Skills RI was selected by the Rhode Island Governor’s Workforce Board to serve as the statewide career intermediary to develop and administer the PrepareRI Internship Program. Skills RI is responsible for reviewing student applications, selecting students and matching them with employers. For the PrepareRI Internship Program, Skills RI will serve as the employer of record and all students accepted into the program will be directly employed by Skills RI. Skills RI will also serve as the single point of contact for employers, schools, students and parents/guardians.
PrepareRI Internship Program Goals
Skills RI anticipates an expansion of the PrepareRI Internship Program and has set the following goals for the summer of 2019. With support of RI-GWB, Skills RI plans to double its placement goals of students and begin to work on high-quality year-round work based learning opportunities with RI public high schools.
Questions & Concerns?
Contact Skills RI at 401-680-5960 or email@example.com